Ching Kit Chen
Asst Professor, Senior Paediatric Cardiologist
Ching Kit is an Assistant Professor of Paediatrics at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS), and a Senior Consultant Paediatric Cardiologist at the Khoo Teck Puat–National University Children’s Medical Institute, National University Hospital (NUH). Ching Kit completed his undergraduate medical studies at NUS and post-graduate training in Paediatrics and Paediatric Cardiology at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Singapore. He completed a clinical fellowship in paediatric heart failure, mechanical circulatory support and heart transplantation at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada. He was awarded the Philip Witchel Memorial Research Fellowship in Pediatric Heart Failure in 2013, whilst being a junior staff in the Heart Failure and Transplant Program at the Hospital for Sick Children. During his 2 years in Toronto, he participated in research projects resulting in numerous abstracts and publications. Upon return to Singapore, he initiated the paediatric advanced heart failure program (including mechanical circulatory support for children) in KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, and established the paediatric heart transplant and mechanical cardiac support programme in Singapore. His clinical expertise covers congenital heart disease, foetal cardiology, cardiomyopathy and heart failure, and the use of 3D printing of heart models for surgical planning; while research areas of interest and experience include echocardiography in cardiomyopathy and congenital heart disease, exercise echocardiography, and foetal cardiovascular flow dynamics. His current areas of active research also include epigenetic mechanisms of anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity in paediatric animal models, and the study of epigenetic memory in the heart. He is the junior PI at the Foo lab, focusing on paediatric human cardiovascular diseases.
MBBS. National University of Singapore. 2002.
MMed (Paed Med). National University of Singapore. 2006.
MRCPCH. Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (UK). 2006.
- 1. Chen CK, Low Y, Akhilesh M, Jacobsen AS. Kikuchi disease in Asian children. J Paediatr Child Health 2006;42(3):104-7 (IF 0.29)
- 2. Choo TL, Wong KY, Chen CK, Tan TH. Successful drainage of a traumatic haemopericardium with pericardiocentesis through an intercostal approach. Emerg Med Australas 2010; 22(6):565-7 (IF 1.089)
- 3. Chong SL, Bautista D, Chen CK, Ang SY. Diagnostic Evaluation of Pediatric Myocarditis in the Emergency Department (A 10-year Case Series in the Asian Population). Pediatr Emer Care 2013;29(3):346-51 (IF 1.034)
- 4. Tan ZH, Lai A, Chen CK, Chang KT, Tan AM. Association of trisomy 18 with hepatoblastoma and its implications. Eur J Pediatr 2014;173:1595-8 (IF 1.91)
- 5. Forsha D, Slorach C, Chen CK, Stephenson EA, Risum N, Hornik C, Wagner G, Mertens L, Barker P, Kisslo J, Friedberg MK. Classic-pattern dyssynchrony and electrical activation delays in pediatric dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2014;27:956-64 (IF 4.056)
- 6. Chen CK, Manlhiot C, Conway J, Allain-Rooney T, McCrindle BW, Tinckam K, Dipchand AI. Development and impact of de novo anti-HLA antibodies in pediatric heart transplant recipients. Am J Transplant 2015;15:2215-22. (IF 6.09)
- 7. Riesenkampff E, Chen CK, Kantor PF, Greenway S, Chaturvedi RR, Yoo SJ, Greiser A, Dipchand AI, Grosse-Wortmann L. Diffuse myocardial fibrosis in children after heart transplantation: a magnetic resonance T1 mapping study. Transplantation 2015;99:2656-62 (IF 3.828)
- 8. Forsha D, Slorach C, Chen CK, Sherman A, Mertens L, Barker P, Kisslo J, Friedberg MK. Patterns of mechanical inefficiency in pediatric dilated cardiomyopathy and their relation to left ventricular function and clinical outcomes. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016;29:226-36. (IF 4.056)
- 9. Chen CK, Cifra B, Morgan GJ, Sarkola T, Slorach C, Hui W, Bradley TJ, Manlhiot C, McCrindle BW, Redington AN, Benson LN, Mertens L. Left ventricular myocardial and hemodynamic response to exercise in young patients after endovascular stenting for aortic coarctation. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016;29:237-46. (IF 4.056)
- 10. Chong KS, Chen CK, Lim SL. Diagnostic dilemma of constrictive pericarditis with concomitant mitral stenosis: a case report. International Cardiovascular Forum Journal 2016;8:124-5.
- 11. Lim JK, Lee JH, Mok YH, Chen CK, Loh YJ. Intramyocardial hematoma after Ebstein anomaly repair: a case of unexpected diagnosis and its management. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg 2017;8:117-20.
- 12. Chen CK, Manlhiot C, Russell JL, Kantor PF, McCrindle BW, Conway J. The utility of cardiopulmonary exercise testing for the prediction of outcomes in ambulatory children with dilated cardiomyopathy. Transplantation 2017;101:2455-60. (IF 3.690)
- 13. Chen CK, Manlhiot C, Mital S, Schwartz SM, Van Arsdell GS, Caldarone C, McCrindle BW, Dipchand AI. Pre-listing probability of early post-operative survival in infant heart transplantation. Pediatr Transplant 2018;22(2) (IF 1.294)
- 14. Cifra B*, Chen CK*, CS Fan, Slorach C, Manlhiot C, McCrindle BW, Dragulescu A, Redington AN, Friedberg MK, Nathan PC, Mertens L. Dynamic myocardial response to exercise in childhood cancer survivors treated with anthracyclines. (*Drs Cifra and Chen contributed equally to this work) J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2018;31:933-42. (IF 6.827)
- 15. Wong JJ-M, Chen CK, Moorakonda RB, Wijeweera O, Tan TYS, Nakao M, Allen JC Jr, Loh TF, Lee JH. Changes in near infrared spectroscopy after surgery in children with cyanotic heart disease. Front. Pediatr. 2018;6:97 (doi: 10.3389/fped.2018.00097)
- 16. Wiputra H, Chen CK, Talbi E, Lim GL, Soomar SM, Biswas A, Mattar CNZ, Bark D, Leo HL, Yap CH. Human fetal hearts with tetralogy of Fallot have altered fluid dynamics and forces. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2018;315(6):H1649-H1659. (IF 3.85)
- 17. Chew YR, Lim JY, Teoh OH, Chen CK, Foo R, Lai AH, Jamuar SS. Aortic and pulmonary artery dilatation in Cantu syndrome: expanding the phenotype. Clin Dysmorphol 2019; Epub ahead of print (IF 0.427)
- Intramyocardial hematoma after Ebstein anomaly repair: a case of unexpected diagnosis and its management.
- Prelisting predictions of early postoperative survival in infant heart transplantation using classification and regression tree analysis